Man caught in terror cell hunt

Written By komlim puldel on Selasa, 13 Januari 2015 | 20.01

French police say up to six terror cell members may still be at large after attacks.

PASSPORT-free travel for Europeans between borders in Europe could be restricted in the wake of the terrorist-related massacre in Paris, as police hunt for a terror cell linked to the gunmen.

The move comes as Bulgaria announced it would extradite a Frenchman linked to the gunmen who terrorised the French capital for three days that saw 17 people killed and 20 others wounded, five critically.

It also comes as French authorities confirm they are looking for six people linked to the terror cell that the three Paris gunmen belonged to, as they put 10,000 police on the streets amid fears of further attacks.

The European Union has called for better sharing of intelligence and coordination of security forces to combat the rising threats of terrorist-inspired violence in the continent.

There are an estimated 3000 European citizens fighting for Islamic State (ISIS) or splinter groups in the Middle East and there are fears they will use their training to attack the west when they return.

HIGH ALERT: Britain picks up chatter from jihadists

ON THE RUN: Widow caught on camera

LARRY PICKERING: Under police protection

Security bolstered ... French troops patrol around the Eifel Tower in Paris, France. Picture: Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images Source: Getty Images

The EU said yesterday it would consider changing passport-free travel rules, a proposal to be debated later this month to then be ruled on during the EU leaders' summit on February 12. Hungary has gone further and called on nations to close borders to immigration. It was Spain that formally announced it wanted changes to the Schengen Treaty — the 1995 scheme that removed passport check's on the EU's internal borders that 22 EU member nations have signed to — to particularly limit the movements of Islamic fighters returning home to Europe from the Middle East.

WORLD LEADERS: Gather at rally in Paris to fight terrorism

Border crossings ... could be changed after the paris terror attacks. Source: Supplied

"The existing mobility in the European Union is facilitating the movements (of jihadists) to any country and also to our country," Interior Minister Jorge Fernandez Diaz said.

European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said "action" on such issues could come at a later time.

Watching ... French soldiers of the 1er Regiment de Chasseurs Parachutistes, patrol outside a synagogue in Marseille. Picture: AFP Source: AFP

"Our actions should be grounded not in fear but on reflection," he said.

One immediate action however could come this week with the European Parliament to dump privacy-based objections on EU nations exchanging airline passenger data. After years of debate, perceived civil liberties had won over proposed controls on the movement of those suspected of planning violence through data sharing.

At the height of fears in Paris over the weekend, it was the UK Independence Party (UKIP) leader Nigel Farage that said he believed there was a "fifth column" able to live within Europe opposed to public values.

The political make-up of the EU itself could thwart dramatic changes since the big three of Germany, Britain and France have long been reluctant to give up internal security, legal affairs and intelligence to Brussels (EU).

Fighting back ... a French national flag remains hung at the Republic Triumph statue by French artist Jules Dalou, in the Place de la Nation, a day after demonstrators put during a unity rally Marche Republicaine. Picture: AFP Source: AFP

FRENCHMAN LINKED TO GUNMEN ARRESTED

Bulgaria will extradite a Frenchman who had been arrested on January 1 on suspicion of wanting to take his three-year-old son to Syria to train for jihad but had now been hit with a second arrest warrant linking him to the Said and Charif Kouachi brothers who shot dead 12 people at the satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo.

Police have named the suspect as Fritz-Joly Joachin.

Arrested ... Frenchman Fritz-Joly Joachin, 29, in the town of Haskovo, southeastern Bulgaria. Picture: AFP Source: AFP

Joachin, 29, was arrested on the border with Turkey and the second "conspiracy in terrorism" warrant alleges he was part of a criminal group planning terrorist acts and an association with one of the Paris gunmen.

As a French citizen of Haitian origin, he "was in contact several times with one of the two brothers -- Cherif Kouachi," public prosecutor Darina Slavova told AFP.

She said the contact took place before Joachin left France on December 30, a week before Cherif Kouachi and his brother Said killed 12 people in Paris attacks that shocked the world.

CHARLIE HEBDO TO PRINT 3 MILLION COPIES

The surviving staff of Charlie Hebdo is putting out an unprecedented three million copies of its upcoming issue.

According to the newspaper Liberation, which loaned out office space to the satirical weekly whose staff was decimated at the beginning of three days of terror attacks last Wednesday, the run will come out Wednesday.

Late Monday, Liberation posted an image of the Charlie Hebdo's next cover. It featured a cartoon of a bearded man in a turban with a tear streaming down his cheek, and holding a sign: "Je Suis Charlie" - "I Am Charlie."

Overhead was the phrase: "All is forgiven."

French media interpreted that as meaning Muhammad is forgiving the cartoonists for lampooning him.

REVEALED: Charlie Hebo's new front cover

WANTED WIDOW SEEN ON CCTV

Hayat Boumeddiene, the wanted partner of one of the gunmen behind the terror attacks in France, has been seen on CCTV security cameras after she crossed into conflict-torn Syria last week after travelling through Turkey.

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Boumeddiene had crossed into Syria on January 8, the same day that her partner Amedy Coulibaly is suspected of shooting dead a policewoman outside Paris on the second day of the Paris attacks.

Seen ... Hayat Boumeddiene presenting her passport at Ataturk airport in Istanbul on January 2. Picture: AFP Source: AFP

"She entered Turkey on January 2 from Madrid. There are images of her at the airport," Mr Cavusoglu was quoted as saying by state-run news agency Anatolia.

The footage from CCTV security cameras appears to show Boumeddiene, 26, handing over her passport at the arrivals desk at Sabiha Gokcen Airport in Istanbul. She is wearing a headdress and is with an unidentified man.

Mr Cavusoglu went on: "Then she crossed into Syria on January 8. This is clear from the telephone records."

Mr Cavusoglu said the 26-year-old, who had married Coulibaly in an Islamic ceremony, stayed at a hotel in the Kadikoy district on the Asian side of Istanbul and was accompanied by another person.

CCTV footage emerged on Monday allegedly showing Paris Charlie Hebdo suspect Hayat Boumeddiene passing through passport control at Istanbul's Sabiha Gokcen Airport. Wearing the hijab, she is in the company of a male with long, black hair who appears to be in his 30s. The footage was recorded on January 2. Boumeddiene's boyfriend Amedy Coulibaly killed four people after he stormed a kosher supermarket in the French capital on Friday 9 January. He was shot and killed on the same day after police stormed the building. Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu released a statement on Monday saying the country was not provided with the intelligence required to identify and potentially arrest Boumeddiene at the airport. Authorities believe she has crossed the border into Syria.

He did not give further details on the identity of the other individual and did not make clear if she had travelled to Syria on her own.

Mr Cavusoglu added that Turkey passed the information to the French authorities "even before they asked for it" as soon as Ankara identified her whereabouts.

"We told them: 'The person you are looking for was here, stayed here and crossed into Syria illegally'," he said.

Turkey's Interior Minister Efkan Ala said the country did not refuse Boumeddiene entry because French authorities had made no such request and that they hadn't warned Ankara that she was "dangerous." He added that Turkey's intelligence agency, the National Intelligence Organisation (MIT), and the police were still working to shed more light on the matter.


Anda sedang membaca artikel tentang

Man caught in terror cell hunt

Dengan url

http://duniasikasik.blogspot.com/2015/01/man-caught-in-terror-cell-hunt.html

Anda boleh menyebar luaskannya atau mengcopy paste-nya

Man caught in terror cell hunt

namun jangan lupa untuk meletakkan link

Man caught in terror cell hunt

sebagai sumbernya

0 komentar:

Posting Komentar

techieblogger.com Techie Blogger Techie Blogger