Officials hurt dodging bottles in fan attack

Written By komlim puldel on Jumat, 03 April 2015 | 20.01

NRL: Ugly scenes as two referees were hit by bottles and other projectiles as they attempted to leave the field following a controversial match between the Bulldogs and South Sydney.

Referees duck for cover as an official is taken to hospital. Source: Channel 9

THE New South Wales police say they have identified two people for "allegedly throwing bottles" at NRL referees and officials following Canterbury's controversial loss to South Sydney on Friday.

An ambulance had to be called after Bulldogs fans pelted the match officials with projectiles which resulted in an official being taken to hospital.

"Reports a referee was hit by a bottle while leaving the field at Stadium Australia are incorrect," a police statement said.

"The match official was avoiding a bottle which had been thrown from the crowd when he slipped.



"He was assisted to his feet and moved to the officials room. A second official sustained a shoulder injury after falling.

"Inquiries are continuing to verify the circumstances leading up to the official being injured."

Reports on social media emerged that there was fighting in the stands between Bulldogs and Rabbitohs fans which the police are investigating.

"Two people were arrested for assault – one of these was for domestic violence offences," Police said.

Officials duck as they leave the ground. Source: Channel 9

"In the second matter, a man is assisting with inquiries in relation to the alleged assault of another male. That person was taken to hospital further assessment."

The NRL has already begun investigating the fans responsible for throwing objects and Bulldogs boss Raelene Castle has reportedly apologised to officials Gavin Morris and Gerard Sutton, labelling the action from the unruly fans as "unacceptable".

Respected league journalist Steve Mascord has reported interchange official Darren Alchin was taken to hospital in an ambulance after being struck by an object thrown from the crowd.

Alchin has reportedly suffered a broken collarbone.

The incident broke out at the conclusion of the Rabbitohs 18-17 victory at ANZ Stadium.

It is almost certain that the NRL will hand down lifetime bans to the fans responsible for throwing objects.

Bulldogs coach Des Hasler stressed the actions of a few supporters is not supported by the club and promised an incident like that would not happen again.

"I want to offer an apology on behalf of the club," Hasler said after the match.

NRL: South Sydney have beaten Canterbury in a replay of last year's grand final, but the talking point for days to come will be the final minutes, where another highly controversial refereeing decision, handed South Sydney the points.

"I've been to see the referee official who was struck by a projectile. He is ok. That is not us. That is not what this club is about and not what sport in this country is about.

"Unfortunately the behaviour of a few can spoil it for everybody.

"On behalf of the players and officials and everyone involved with the club, our sincerest apologies and it won't happen again."

A referee ducks for cover. Source: Channel 9

Referee Gerard Sutton penalised James Graham for attacking the legs of Adam Reynolds which gifted South Sydney a shot at goal and ultimately the match.

Graham was committed to making the tackle which saw him wipe out the Rabbitohs halfback after he attempted a drop goal.

Originally published as Officials hurt dodging bottles in fan attack

Anda sedang membaca artikel tentang

Officials hurt dodging bottles in fan attack

Dengan url

Anda boleh menyebar luaskannya atau mengcopy paste-nya

Officials hurt dodging bottles in fan attack

namun jangan lupa untuk meletakkan link

Officials hurt dodging bottles in fan attack

sebagai sumbernya

0 komentar:

Posting Komentar Techie Blogger Techie Blogger